No car owner wants to take their car in for service only to find out that they are on the hook for hundreds or thousands of dollars of repairs. While some repairs are inevitable and hard to prevent, others can be prevented with a combination of proper maintenance and avoiding certain driving behaviors. How can you avoid expensive auto repairs?
Avoiding Expensive Auto Repairs
- Check your coolant reservoir on a regular basis, especially during the summer months when things are hot. If your engine overheats, you could need to rebuild your engine, which is very costly. Engine overheating, especially chronically, can lead to serious damage that is permanent.
- If you notice any fluids dripping beneath your car, take it into United Auto Care to make sure it is nothing serious. Small leaks, like transmission fluid dripping out, are relatively easy to fix when they are first discovered but can mean repairs that are multiple thousands of dollars if you need a full transmission overhaul.
- Always stick to your manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule. Small things, like battery issues, can be detected early on and prevented entirely when you are regularly bringing your car in for service. During your maintenance visits, we can also check all vital fluids and the condition of other high-value parts of your car like the brakes. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
- Never neglect your tires. When your tires are underinflated, it can shorten their lifespan, lead to serious safety hazards and increase tire wear. Always keep your tires inflated the proper amount and replace them with new tires at the appropriate time. Trying to stretch out the length of time you use a pair of tires damages your traction and can lead to an accident.
- Pay attention to your dashboard warning lights. While there can be “false alarms” in certain situations, they are almost always accurate and attempting to alert you that something is wrong with your vehicle. When you notice a light, look it up in your owner’s manual and bring your car in for service.
At United Auto Care, our goal is to help you keep your vehicle running smoothly for years to come and that starts with a rigorous maintenance schedule. Call us today to schedule your next service or repair appointment at our Flowery Branch, GA, location.